Friday, March 9, 2012

"I am okay, it is just steroids week"



While I was at appointment last week,I was sitting next to a mom with an "unruly" kid  of hers running around. and for the first time i wasn't mad. I didn't get up, i didn't roll my eyes, or suck my teeth. and after a couple of minutes the mom, turn around and apologize for her kids actions he had ADHD and some other things going on plus they made him fast so he was just unhappy,hungry and he had extreme mood swings. And I completely understand. I told her my daughter situation and how the days she was on her meds I didn't know who I was going to get at any given moment. She ask how I dealt with it? My reply was simple,I take a step back.
 Now I know this might sound silly, when it has to deal with a 7 year old. However, I think it is important with dealing with a kid that is on medication that makes them have mood swings.  So I have to take two steps back and breath when she starts her yelling, crying and stomping
 I have to ask myself simple questions two questions: Is it my tone? Why is she really upset about?
I am 98%able to deal with it, the other 2% I want to hide in the closet and hope she doesn't find me. All in all i repeat the words "I am okay, it is just steroids week"and wait till Sunday.


No comments: